FirstEnergy’s meteorologists tell us that the frigid winter temperatures predicted over the next several days for Met-Ed’s service area will likely be accompanied by wind gusts of up to 45 mph. Fortunately, the leaves are off the trees lessening their resistance but downed trees and broken limbs usually accompany high winds and are a common cause of power outages.
Met-Ed has all available line crews scheduled to work a 24-hour rotation throughout this event. Additionally, we have contract crews on stand-by. Forestry and substation crews as well as support staff, such as fleet and warehouse, also will be working round the clock.
While Met-Ed crews strive to restore service as quickly as possible, the extreme temperatures create hazardous working conditions for Met-Ed crews and may prolong our restoration efforts. In locations where power is interrupted, we appreciate everyone’s patience as we work to restore power while keeping our employees and our customers safe.
For updated information on the company’s storm preparation efforts, current outages, Met-Ed’s storm restoration process, and tips for staying safe, customers are urged to visit our 24/7 Power Center at www.firstenergycorp.com/outages. If an outage occurs, customers should call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) to report their outage or click the “Report Outage” link on www.firstenergycorp.com. Immediately report any downed wires to Met-Ed or local police or fire department. Never go near a downed power line, even if you think it is no longer carrying electricity. Extra caution should be used in areas where downed lines are tangled in trees or other debris.
Please be safe and remember to always stay away from downed power lines!
Some common sense tips for getting through the cold weather include:
• Close drapes, blinds and garage doors to retain heat.
• Use a sturdy fireplace screen when using a fireplace or wood-burning stove to help prevent a house fire.
• Never use a gas stove, charcoal grill or lantern intended for outdoor use inside your home as it could lead to a buildup of deadly carbon monoxide gas.
• Only use space heaters designed for indoor use, and keep all heat sources at least three feet away from curtains, carpet or furniture that could catch on fire.
• Avoid frozen pipes by opening faucets and maintaining a constant drip, or wrap pipes in insulation or layers of newspaper.
• Use care when burning candles, especially around children or pets; burning candles can present a fire hazard.
• Charge electronic devices such as cell phones, laptops and tablet computers, and keep car charging cords for those devices handy in case of a power outage.
• Keep a flashlight, portable radio and extra batteries in the event a power interruption occurs.
• Never use a portable generator inside the house or a closed garage. Ensure the proper generator is selected and installed by a qualified electrician. When operating a generator, power coming into the home must be disconnected. Otherwise, power from the generator could be sent back onto the utility lines, posing a danger to utility workers.
Note: Feel free to post this message on your social media.